THE JOURNEY IS NOT UNATTAINABLE



While I was heading home at about 6:42pm yesterday, I found it difficult to get a bike man. The first bike I called gave me an askance look and zoomed off. To me it was normal. Some of these motorcyclists are just mysterious for they seem to prefer burning petrol than actually commuting. I stood, awaiting another motorcyclist to come around. As soon as I waved my hand at the oncoming one I got a cold shoulder. “weytin dey happen na?” I grumbled inwardly until the third bike snubbed me.

I made up my mind that I was going to trek home because that seemed to be the only option available at that time if I must go home before the Nigeria versus Algeria Match that broke my heart and justified the reason why am not a football fan came up. I started trekking though I wasn’t feeling good that night health wise.
There was this guy behind me who seemed to have resolved to not give up. He’d stop and stop every bike but none responded. I don’t know why but whenever he called on the motorcyclists I’d turn to see if any will stop. None did. I almost shouted “bros them no go stop” but minding my business has actually been very profitable. At last he succeeded in stopping one after about fifteen minutes trekking. This time I’d crossed to the other side of the road and felt he has finally succeeded but the bike zoomed off again. It was a funny scene. I was giggling but the worry that has worn itself on the guy’s face cautioned me so I continued my journey home not depending on whether I’d get a lift or paid transport. I got home.

The above may not be an interesting encounter but from it is born an inspiration that could better the lot of Nigerian youths if we decide to own up and take on the responsibility of steering the wheels of this nation to the height we desire so much.

In my yesterday’s post I asked a question that got good answers from the respondents. Some opined that Fayose of Ekiti should be given the chance to rule the nation since Baba has presumably failed in meeting the expectations of the electorates. Some suggested that Oshiomhole who transformed Edo state from whence it was to what it is now should man the stool. Sule Lamido was also a choice from one youth. I was almost buying the assertion made by a buddy who added that our government and its governing should be manned by a business man but then I thought of how business mogul Trump has been faring. Then it boiled down to either continuity or to vote in someone below forty. I couldn’t respond. Nigeria was being cheated at yesterday’s match against Algeria. Thank God I’ve had dinner before the match but I was cursing and wishing the ref gets a life sentence for murdering my joy.

Now there are salient questions I’d like to pose. What is the ratio of youths to the aged in Nigeria? If we agree that the population of the youths by far outweighs the later, we’d also agree that there’s power in numbers but are these overwhelming number of people aware of the problems bedeviling this nation? Are we aware that we can remedy these problems if we resolve to? Do we even know the processes? Are we politically active (other than being used as thugs for ballot snatching and post election fracas?), do we even have the political will to get involved? Are we ready?
NO!

We aren’t ready. I say this because the lot of these teaming youths have had one or two reasons to give up in voting. “as e come be say na them them dem dey put for power, weytin concern me?” “I vote o I no vote o, who go win don win seff!” and so we begin to turn down a chance to make a change no matter how small the effort towards making that change would be. By this 'we continue to empower the same devil we keep complaining of killing us.' We sabotage what’s left of our collective future and that of our kids by being complacent. We console ourselves with quotes like “man no die man no rotten” “e go better” over bottles of Chelsea dry gin, bitters, tremado, codeine etcetera. And when ‘e no come better’ incessant illegal migration, trafficking, thievery, kidnapping, assassination, vandalism and other forms of societal decadence begin to thrive. We begin to look for quick fixes.

For those who posited that one under age forty should be voted in to pilot the affairs of this great nation, I pitch tent with you but that’s not feasible now. It is not impossible though. It is something that will take time. Ample time with which to plan, prepare, take action. Remember how I trekked home without a lift or paid transport? We need to start one step at a time. Truth be told, no one will do it for us. A lot of sacrifice must be done bearing in mind that we are fighting for a course that will bring about a better future for our unborn kids. Trust me when I say if we continue with our current state of complacency there’ll be no future to create and leave for our children.

I wouldn’t want to bore you by being too preachy but I beg that we take out time to form a youth oriented body, groom ourselves, engage in developmental thought processes for the sake of national interest, study the polity, set our priorities aright, know our collective problem(s), fashion out actionable plans, involve in politics with the mindset of getting home even with scarce resource (remember my trekking that got me home) bearing in mind that we are doing this for our children.
Let our voices be heard beyond mere social media ranting.

It will take time, tears, blood and might break our bones but what happens when we finally get home? With this I humbly submit that nobody owns Nigeria more than the Nigerian Youth.
Let’s do this!

Jeremiah Kadiri
11-11-017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I QUIT!

THAT PILE OF SHIT IS YOUR BEST SHOT

TEAR DROPS FROM A SLICED ONION